In The News
The purpose of the Upper Monongahela River
Association (UMRA) is to promote the general
development of the area encompassed by the drainage
basin for the Upper Monongahela River, primarily in
West Virginia. Primary concerns are economic
development and quality of life issues related to the
environment and recreational opportunities.
Activities directed towards this purpose include:
- Recreational boating activities
- Development of river-based facilities, eg,
campsites, marinas, shore-side restaurants, etc.,
by government, commercial, and recreational
organizations and entities, in support of
recreation in the Upper Mon region.
- Development of river-based commerce
- Working with government, business, recreational,
environmental, and civic organizations on behalf
of UMRA goals
- Congressional passage of legislation that adds
boating recreation to the waterways mandates of
the US Army Corps of Engineers (COE).
- Ensuring that COE has sufficient funds to operate
the locks on the Upper Monongahela, and other
rivers, on schedules that fully facilitate river
commerce and recreation, and, that COE has
sufficient funds to maintain these locks.