Corps of Engineers Urges Water Safety
Morgantown Dominion Post
10 May 2015
MORGANTOWN — With warm temperatures, boaters and swimmers are
making a return to West Virginia’s waterways. The U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers offers tips on enjoying the water while remaining
- Know your boat and know the rules of the road.
- Take a safe boating course.
- Check your boat for all required safety equipment.
- Consider the size of your boat, the number of passengers
and the amount of extra equipment that will be on-board. Don’t
overload the boat.
- If you will be in a power boat, check your electrical
system and fuel system for gas fumes.
- Follow manufacturers suggested procedures before starting
- Wear your life jacket – don’t just carry one on board.
- Leave alcohol behind to increase your safety and decrease
- Check the weather forecast.
- File a float plan with a member of your family or friend.
- Swimmers also need to observe safety rules, the Corps
- Never rely on toys such as inner tubes and water wings to
- Don’t take chances by overestimating your swimming
- Swim only in designated swimming areas.
- Never swim alone.